Friday, December 31, 2010

A Look Back, A Look Ahead

I took this list from one of the blogs that I read, http://www.sundrymourning.com, which is a series of questions about this year and a few looking forward. This is my first year doing this, so it will be interesting to look back next year.


1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Trained with a personal trainer for six months as a way to kick my butt into a regular fitness program. It was hard and pricey, but I needed it. I can’t recall if it was late last year or early this year, but I saw a cardiologist and had a stress ECHO; everything was fine, turned out to just be stress. Saw a Physical Therapist and learned that my hip-to-knee alignment is twisted, which gave me a reason for my life-long intuition that I have somewhat weak knees & ankles. Went to a Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds acoustic concert, where all proceeds were donated to charity; I’ve seen DMB many times, but not acoustic or for charity.


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year

I didn’t write down specific resolutions for 2010, but mentally I vowed to improve my overall health, which was a focus of this year, so I did keep it.


Let’s see, for 2011:

- Continue regular workouts & shed the remaining 10-15 pounds that are left from my starting goal

- Spend more time with my closest friends

- Not that I control it, but I’d like to meet the one; I’m ready

- Have a great 40th birthday

- Be more thoughtful with my words

- Travel somewhere new

- Get a dog, providing I can fund the overall ownership


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Kelly had her second daughter this year, little Grace. My cousin Ryan and his wife Lacey had their first child, a son, Samuel.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?

Stayed in this one, but travel continues to be on my short list. At the top of the list to see someday: Italy, Africa, Caribbean.


6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
George Clooney. OK, he’s busy, so I’ll take the runner-up.


7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 7th: Left one job. May 24th: Started a new job.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Making a needed job change and completing a tough fitness program.


9. What was your biggest failure?

Letting frustrations get the best of me and letting it show when I shouldn’t. Let’s just say that anyone who knows me knows that I almost always speak my mind, and sometimes I do it more colorfully than others.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Of course. I can fall down just walking. So when I started working out with a personal trainer who kicked my ass three times a week, I got an ankle injury pretty might right out of the gate.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
It’s a tie: Macbook Pro and a Nikon D3100. Love.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, household expenses, etc. After that, probably food & entertainment. And way too much at Starbucks. I’m considering a home espresso machine to cut that cost, but need to do the math to see how long it would take the thing to pay for itself.

13. What did you get really excited about?
See #7 and #11.


14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
“Sweet Disposition” - The Temper Trap


15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? Thinner, but not by a lot. About another 10-15 to go.
– richer or poorer? Richer, but that’s a ridiculous word for it, because I’m not rich


16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Travelled. Spent time with friends. Lived in the moment.


17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Any type of complaining. Life is short, and compared to the majority of the rest of the world, I’m very blessed.


18. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas Eve was our annual family dinner at my uncle’s house in Redmond. It’s always a great meal and fun time. Christmas Day was a quiet day at home. Next.


19. What was your favorite TV program?
Modern Family. I am also oddly addicted to The Deadliest Catch.


20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I’m sure I’ll forget a few, but several were: The Art of Racing in the Rain. Three Cups of Tea. Stones Into Schools. Half the Sky. A Thousand Sisters. Any dog book by Jon Katz.


21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I found that my go-to music was existing favorites like U2, Dave Matthews, and Snow Patrol, but I also enjoyed newer music like Mumford & Sons and Kings of Leon.


22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I saw so few films in the theater, so Crazy Heart was the best of those. I see most films when they’re available on Netflix, and some favorites this year were The Hangover; Food, Inc.; The Hurt Locker; Invictus; and Burn After Reading.


23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had a great spa day. 39.


24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
That handyman-who-likes-to-cook husband that is out there somewhere.


25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Eddie Bauer occasionally dates Ann Taylor.

26. What kept you sane?
My internal compass -- I have always steered my own ship, and am very self-reliant. Trips to Cannon Beach. The love of my house & yard. Dog time with my friends’ dogs. My closest friends. Being at the top of my own list.


27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
One that I relearned, which is that it’s not selfish to claim your life as your own and (re)establish boundaries with family and friends. That putting yourself first is how it should be, not something that needs apologizing or explaining. That making a commitment to your own health in body, mind, and spirit, is the best thing you can do for yourself. That real friends stand the test of time and miles, and that while three of my dearest friends are all in other cities, they’re always with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment